Tuesday, February 19, 2008

What I Have Been Up To

I have been wanting to post something for a while now but been unable due to the firewall set up by the Chinese government, all blogs are not accessible. Anyway, what has China gotta do with me writing my blog? Well, I'm now working for China Squash Association as their coach on a part time basis for the moment.

How's China squash? That's the question you maybe asking. Well, it's in it's infancy and just starting to gain a little foothold in China with adults in clubs. At the moment, Beijing seems to have the biggest number of squash players followed by Shanghai. How good are they? Well, let's say they are just social players wanting to have a sweat. There is also a big number of expatriates who play the game in clubs and that's helping the popularity of the game.

I'm currently based in the Shanghai University of Sports (SUS). They have 4 squash courts there and China Squash Association has made it the national team base. The players are university students and most of them just picked up the game of squash. It seems that they have more girls than guys, 5 girls and 1 guy from the university. There are another 3 players that are away and joins the sessions when I am in Shanghai.

So far the progress of the players have been good and encouraging. I feel that the girls are of better potential to be able to reach Asian level. Most of them are former badminton players and as such have very quick feet and good agility. But teaching them squash is not as easy as it is. But I'm enjoying the experience.

Till next time, cheers.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry. Look please here

Anonymous said...

See Here or Here